History of the College
The College was established in 1891 as a diploma granting institution, and named the Central Maine General Hospital Training School
The first student was admitted on July 9, 1891 and graduated on March 24, 1893. At that time, students were admitted at any point during the year and a total of five students graduated from the school during 1893. A Cadet Program was started at the school in 1943 and remained in existence until 1946.
The process of shortening this nursing curriculum from three years (thirty-six months), to its current four academic semesters, began in 1968. The school granted diplomas to its graduates until 1977, when Governor James B. Longley signed into law, L.D. 446, granting the school authority to award the Associate in Applied Science in Nursing Degree to its graduates.
In 1976, the name of this school was changed from Central Maine General Hospital School of Nursing to Central Maine Medical Center School of Nursing. In 1978, the Central Maine Medical Center School of Nursing became the first single entity post-secondary nursing educational institution to become accredited by the Commission on Vocational, Technical, Career Institutions of the New England Association of Schools and Colleges, Inc.
In 1995, all of the school offices and classrooms were moved from Wilson Hall to the Metcalfe Building, and then to its current location at 70 Middle Street in 2001. In 2002, the school began offering its Associate in Applied Science Degree in nursing program via video-conferencing to its Rumford site and in 2003 to its Farmington site. In September 2006, the school began to offer courses that fulfill the General Education component of the curriculum.
In June 2007, the school was renamed the Central Maine Medical Center College of Nursing and Health Professions. On November 6, 2007, the College was granted initial accreditation by the Commission on Institutions of Higher Education of the New England Association of Schools and Colleges.
In September 2009, the college began offering its Associate in Applied Science Degree in Nursing via videoconferencing to its Bridgton site. In January 2010, the college offered the first evening presentation of the Nursing Curriculum. In 2010, the College added an Associate of Applied Science Degree in Radiologic Technology. The Clark F. Miller School of Radiologic Technology was established at Central Maine General Hospital in 1949 as the first Radiologic Technology program in Maine. Coinciding with the addition of the Associate of Applied Science Degree in Radiologic Technology, the Mercy Hospital School of Radiologic Technology in Portland transitioned its two-year certificate program into the College. This doubled the student capacity of the Radiologic Technology program. Also in January 2010, the college admitted its first students in the Computed Tomography (CT) certificate program. The CT Program is designed for the Radiologic Technologist, Nuclear Medicine Technologist, or Radiation Therapist who aspires to continue their education in CT.
From 2011 to 2013, the College offered its nursing curriculum at Downeast Community Hospital in Machias via video conferencing. Also in 2011, the College added an Associate of Applied Science Degree in Nuclear Medicine Technology. The School of Nuclear Medicine Technology was established at Central Maine Medical Center in 1996 as the only program of its type in Maine or New Hampshire. In 2009 the program was expanded to include courses and clinical rotations in CT to meet the expanding needs of Nuclear Medicine Technology; the CT component continues to be an important part of the program curriculum.
On July 1, 2014, the name of the College was changed to the Maine College of Health Professions to better reflect the mission and strategic vision of the College.